Thursday, June 4, 2015

10 Ways To Get And Stay Motivated




Having trouble staying motivated? Here are ten useful tips.

1. Create a fitness vision board. 
I pasted photos of bodies I would like to have and some of myself when I was younger and fitter. 

2. Hang a "target outfit" in plain view.
I hung a pair a jeans that no longer fit on the back of my bedroom door. Seeing these jeans everyday and imagining myself wearing them helps to keep me inspired.

3. Post motivational quotes in key areas in your home. 
I posted many motivational quotes throughout my home, including my refrigerator. Keep these quotes positive and you will always feel inspired. I remember my friend's mother had a refrigerator magnet with a picture of a very large woman with the caption "keep out!" While this is humorous, this did little to inspire my friend's mom to lose the unwanted pounds. Reminders that "you can do it!" will help you to show up for yourself everyday.

4. Pack your gym bag the night before. 
Having one less thing to do in the morning will eliminate the excuse of being too rushed to pack a gym bag. Put your gym bag by the door, so it will be ready to go.

5. Pack a nutritious lunch and snacks the night before.
Packing a delicious, nutrient rich, colorful lunch and putting it in the fridge the night before will eliminate the temptation to forgo the morning preparation and "grab something" on the go.

6. Pick out a colorful, fun outfit to wear to the gym. If you work out in the morning, set your gym apparel out the night before (and as I mentioned, have your work outfit packed in your bag and waiting for you by the door). Seeing a vibrant, colorful set of gym clothes will brighten your mood.

7. Make it a habit to do a morning meditation.
It doesn't have to take too much time. Five or ten minutes of deep breathing, with a meditation mantra can help you get motivated. There are plenty of meditations on You Tube and many of these channels carry downloadable mp3's.

8. Grab a workout buddy.
Having an accountability partner or hiring a trainer will help you stay on track. If you don't don't show up, you're not only letting yourself down, you're letting your friend down.

9. Schedule your workout when it's easiest for you.
If you're not a morning person, no matter how many articles you read on the pro's of a morning workout, it won't be very effective, because you won't show up on a consistent basis.

10. Make your workout FUN!
Doing activities you love makes the prospect more enticing. Remember, you'll be working out for a very long time, so you might as well enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment